Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Practice Doesn't Always Make Perfect

I believe there is a saying that goes, "you only fail when you stop trying," or something to that effect. This might be true in most aspects of life, but I have found one exceptions to this rule for me...GYMNASTICS. I thought I would be adventurous this semester and try something new, so I signed up for a beginning gymnastics class. Note that I said beginning! My entire goal in taking this class was to learn how to do a back flip.

First day, they call role and the teacher explains all the different events we will be expected to learn. He went through the floor, trampoline, uneven bars, vault, and beam demonstrating multiple skills with ease. In my mind I was thinking, "how hard can it be?!" Immediately we start to warm up and he has us start on strength training. This is where I quickly learned that I am not as strong nor flexible as I thought. Neither can I do one single pull up. Following the class, my arms were so sore that I could hardly open my binder in my next class. I didn't dare tell anyone that it was because I was attempting, not even accomplishing,

That is about how the entire semester went. About half way through my time, my goals changed. I no longer was aspiring to do a black-flip, but a handstand. If I was aiming high, I thought I might even be able to accomplish the "pull-over" on the uneven bars. Just look:



Six year old girls can do this trick....ugh! Well, by the end of the semester I still couldn't do a back-flip, nor a pull-over, nor an effective handstand. But let me tell you...I am a champion at somersaults!

No comments:

Post a Comment